Monday, June 7, 2010

Media Players

Lately I've been downloading Doctor Who episodes after they air since the new shows don't come on with my cable plan. I've been using VideoLAN's VLC media player to watch them. VLC is a free, open source application which is really awesome because it's the best media player. Unfortunately, I've been having trouble playing the .avi files. The video works fine, but the audio doesn't play at all. I thought it was just the new files I was watching until I went back to watch something I know I had watched on VLC before only now there was no sound. So I scoured the Googles looking for the answer with no luck until I came across a page that Firefox didn't want to load, but I could override it. The question on the forum was EXACTLY my problem! Someone responded that all you had to do was find the file that ran the application vlc.exe  and change it to vlc2.exe

IT WORKED!

I have Vista, so I went to C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC and changed the list so that I was viewing Details instead of icons or the regular list so I could find the file. It only said vlc but in the next column it said application as the file type, so I changed vlc to vlc2 and the computer prompted me to make sure I really wanted to change the file name and now the sound works famously!

No comments: